Our curriculum aims to develop:
- Engaged and inquisitive learners who want to know more
- Core knowledge that allows them to truly understand the world around them – the whys, the whats and the hows
- Skills that students need to be able to live in the world
In line with our ethos of developing our students to become the best version of themselves we ensure that the delivery of our curriculum is accessible for ALL learners across ALL subjects. We aim to support students to breakdown any barriers they have to learning both within the classroom and through targeted support where necessary.
Lessons at Woodham Academy are 50 minutes long and students receive 30 lessons per week, 6 lessons per day. To ensure maximum flexibility, we operate a two-week timetable with Week A and Week B.
Year 7, 8 & 9
At Key Stage 3 students will study:
- Religious Studies
- Physical Education
Subject information can be found on our specific subject information pages.
Year 10 & 11
Students at Key Stage 4 (Year 10 and Year 11) get the opportunity to further personalise their curriculum. Choosing which option subjects to study is always an important milestone for our Year 9 students. It is particularly important that students think carefully about their choices and find out as much information as possible. At Woodham Academy, we pride ourselves on offering students a genuine choice in option subjects. We feel it is important for our students to have some autonomy over what they study in Key Stage 4. We attempt to carefully balance this with national measures as well as ensuring that students have what they need should they wish to go onto further and higher education, apprenticeships, and employment.
Students will study the following core subjects;
- English Language
- English Literature
- Dual Award Science
- French (most students will continue to study this)
- Students will have 12 lessons of Science per fortnight, 9 lessons of Maths and English, and 7 lessons of their options subjects, including French.
- Students will also have one core PE lesson per week and two 25-minute sessions of core Religious Studies.
- Students can opt to continue studying options subjects in:
- Art (Fine Art)
- Computer Science
- Cambridge National in IT
- Food & Cookery
- Graphic Design
- Religious Studies
- BTEC Sport & Exercise
- BTEC Health & Social Care
- BTEC Child Development